Motivator: most of my experience in teaching has been with adults and I have found that being able to motivate is perhaps one of the most important qualities a teacher needs to have. Every student is different and I try to find ways to motivate each student one way or another to get them interested in English. If the student is not interested it is very difficult to get them to learn. This point is also closely connected to being a good communicator.
Guider: obviously the learning cannot be done by the teacher, however, I do feel it's my job to be the guide for the year and guide the student in what is necessary for them to reach their goal.
Organiser: While I don't rigidly stick to my lesson plan, I do like to spend a bit of time planning the lesson thoroughly and also inform students of what we are to be covering the following lesson. This way I can concentrate on oral communication in the class. I feel, with adults, much of the theory can be done at home.
I'm not much of a textbook teacher and tend to use various sources (some ICT activities, but mostly oral communication activities) to practice the concepts proposed in the course syllabus.
hi, Grahame!
ReplyDeleteI am sure your students appreciate your oral focus, because this is the skill they find the hardest to improve! I am interested in hearing more about this approach!
thanks!
Hi Grahame!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you in the roles you propose as a teacher, motivator, guider, organizer and communicator. I also work with adults, it is sometimes hard for them to learn a second language and as you say we have to motivate them with different activities.